This policy explains how MOR Accountants handles personal information and complies with requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (“Privacy Act”). The policy relates to the collection and handling of personal information that is covered by the Privacy Act.
Personal information covers any information about you that identifies you or by which your identity can be reasonably determined.
Collection of personal information
The types of information we collect includes but is not limited to:
- Names, job title, contact and address details;
- Information in identification documents (for example passport, drivers license, Medicare card);
- Tax file numbers and other Government issued identification numbers;
- Date of birth and gender;
- Bank account details, shareholding details and other investment details;
- Details of superannuation and insurances;
- Education qualifications, employment history, and other salary related documents;
- Visa or work permit status;
- Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- Payment details; and
- Personal information about your spouse and/or dependents;
How we collect and manage personal information
Generally we collect your personal information from you directly (for example, in person, over the phone or via correspondence such as mail or email).
We collect information from clients, customers, employees, contractors and other people. We collect and hold this information when it is necessary for business purposes.
If you provide us with personal information of someone else, you should only do so if you have their authority or consent.
MOR Accountants holds personal information in hard copy and electronic formats. We take security measures to protect the personal information we hold including physical security (for example, security system for the building and lockable storage room) and technological security (for example, restriction of access to computer network via, passwords, encryption, firewalls and digital certificates).
The personal information collected by MOR Accountants does not leave Australia.
Purpose for collecting, holding and disclosing personal information
MOR Accountants collects, holds and use personal information for a number of purposes:
- To provide professional services to you;
- To respond to your requests;
- To maintain contact with you;
- To keep clients and other contacts informed of the services our office provides and upcoming seminars or information sessions;
- To verify your identity;
- For administrative purposes including processing your payments;
- To meet any regulatory requirements;
- For other purposes relating to our business.
Most browsers now recognize when a cookie is offered and permit you to refuse or accept its use. If you are not sure if your browser has this capability, please contact the software manufacturer or your internet service provider.
Access and correction of personal information
Our office will take reasonable steps to keep any information we hold up-to-date. Under the Privacy Act you can access the information that we hold about you. There are some exceptions to this which are detailed in the Act.
When you make a request to access personal information, we will require you to provide identification so we can verify that you are the person to whom the information relates. In some cases we may also request an administrative fee to cover the cost of access.
You also have the right to correct information about you which is inaccurate, incomplete, irrelevant, misleading or out-of-date.
In most cases, access to your personal information is available to you at no charge by contacting our office.